After an 0-4 start, it’s time to regroup and start looking for positive reasons to watch this team every Sunday. This is a rebuilding year after all, so let’s start looking for some things we can build on. I don’t expect the Bucs to win this weekend, but I do expect them to keep improving in certain areas of the game. I’ve put together a wish list, in no particular order, of things I would like to see the Bucs accomplish this weekend. If for no other reason these things give something to take my mind off of the scoreboard on Sunday. The following are my wishes:
- For Cadillac Willams to continue getting more touches. He seems to be getting back to the Caddy of old and our offense needs to be centered around him. Nothing cures an offense like a good running game.
- For Aqib Talib to continue making splash plays. I can deal with him getting beat deep once a game if can come up with timely interceptions. The way our defense is schemed big plays are going to happen, but if Talib can make a big play or two and give the offense a short field, we might be able to put up some points.
- For new kicker Shane Andrus to make routine field goals. Nothing discourages a team more than missed field goals. If Nugent makes all of his kicks last week, we win that game and he still has a job. If I could have a do-over preseason wish it would be to keep Matt Bryant instead of Nugent.
- For Gaines Adams to duplicate his performance from last week. He wasn’t perfect, but that was without a doubt his best game as a Buc. If he can put together efforts like that every week it will greatly improve our defense as a whole.
- For Josh Johnson to look more comfortable in the pocket than he did last week. He seemed to lock on his #1 receiver and if he wasn’t open he took off and ran. By all accounts, Josh is a very smart football player so I expect to see a lot of improvement this week. It won’t be easy becasue Philly will be bringing the pressure all day long.
- For Coach Morris to stop chest bumping on the sidelines and act like a coach for a week. I realize he’s a players coach and he’s an emotional guy, but it doesn’t seem to be working. At some point he needs to toughen up on these guys and look a little more stoic with the headset on.
Those are a few of the things I’ll be looking for on Sunday. If you have any of your own wishes you’d like to add, please feel free to post a comment.