LONDON — With the Bucs prepping for their big time London game with the Chicago Bears, here are a few tidbits from the NFL to serve as either dessert from the always amazing Midweek Gameplan, or as a snack in between the Doc’s beautiful feature and the Friday Football Feast.
NFL News and Notes
- LeGarrette Blount will not start for the Buccaneers on Sunday in London. Earnest Graham will get the green light instead. Blount is still nursing his sprained MCL from the loss to the 49ers.
- Lawmakers in Ramsey County don’t have enough votes to fund a stadium there for the Minnesota Vikings. WCCO’s political analyst Pat Kessler says that a downtown Minneapolis site is now the favorite spot for a new stadium. The Vikings lease on the Metrodome is up at the end of this season and ownership has said they will not renew it.
- Newly acquired Oakland Raider Carson Palmer wanted out of Cincinnati so bad that he reportedly took a $5 Million pay-cut to restructure his deal to become affordable for Oakland.
- Even though Jim Schwartz and Jim Harbaugh escaped fines for their profanity laced confrontation, Green Bay Packer linebacker A.J. Hawk didn’t. Hawk was fined $10,000 for flipping the bird to his own sideline last Sunday.
- In more Packer news, former guard Gale Gillingham has died at the age of 67. Gillingham blocked for Packer legend Bart Starr in their first two Super Bowl wins. He died lifting weights at his Minnesota home.
- Finally in some uplifting news, Detroit Lion Jerome Harrison may have had his life saved by a trade. His failed physical that voided a trade with the Eagles revealed a brain tumor. He is not expected to play the rest of the season, but he is expected to live a lot longer than that thanks to the failed trade.