TAMPA — Here are some of the NFL tid-bits making headlines this week.
NFL News and Notes
- The Minnesota Vikings have suspended second-year cornerback Chris Cook indefinitely and without pay for his role in a domestic abuse arrest Saturday. Cook allegedly choked his girlfriend of 10 months so hard her eye bled and his hand prints were left on her neck. It’s the second time this year Cook has been in legal trouble.
- The Houston Texans will be without top receiver Andre Johnson for a fourth consecutive week. Johnson injured his hamstring in a game earlier this year.
- The Buffalo Bills have given Harvard graduate Ryan Fitzpatrick a six-year contract extension worth around $59 million with $24 million guaranteed.
- The Indianapolis Colts and their owner Bill Polian are urging fans not to blame head coach Jim Caldwell for the teams win-less start to this season.
- The Washington Redskins have placed tight end Chris Cooley on IR. Cooley is blaming the lockout for injury stating that because he wasn’t able to use team doctors this summer his knee could never fully heal from surgery.
- Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis missed practice again on Thursday and is doubtful for Sunday’s game. Hillis has seen his production nose dive and has been told the browns will not renew his contract at the end of the season.
- The Raiders and Carson Palmer have said they have no interest in adding free agent receiver Terrell Owens to the roster. Teams with rumored interest in Owens include the Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings despite the fact not one NFL team attended his workout.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have given troubled safety Tanard Jackson a new contract extension. Jackson missed 56 weeks of football due to suspension but after solid play in three games he now has a new chance and a $2 million raise.
- Speaking of troubled players getting another chance, the Cincinnati Bengals have activated Adam “Pacman” Jones making him eligible for Sunday’s game against the Seahawks. Jones has missed large amounts of time due to legal troubles and has been out for a year with a neck injury.