The Bucs are down 24-0 at the Saints this afternoon. Let me give some quick thoughts on the game so far, in bullet form.
- The Bucs defense is in a constant state of no-man’s land. Pressure Brees, and he gets 1-on-1′s against practice squad level DB’s. Drop guys back in coverage, and Brees gets all day to find a target against the same poor DB’s.
- Josh Freeman has been awful today. Overthrows, interceptions, miscommunications, and by the end of the half, he was just refusing to throw the ball.
- Doug Martin has not gotten involved, mainly due to the offensive line. When he finds space, he can get yardage, but the holes haven’t been there today. The damage done to the O-line over the season is really taking its toll. I would have liked to see the Bucs commit to the run game more, and see if they can wear down the Saints D. Down 24-0, that’s not really an option.
- This is something I may reconsider in hindsight, but it might also be something to look at over the week… the scheme on either side of the ball seems to let the Bucs down. The defense allows any receiver over the middle to have a field day against linebackers (and in some cases, defensive linemen!). The offense features so many slow developing plays that give Josh and Doug no time to make a play. Play action rollouts, handoffs to Martin that involve a delayed handoff routine, and deep routes run by receivers on every pass play aren’t working against a very bad defense today.
- Also, WHY in the world is Aaron Morgan covering Jimmy Graham?!?! EVER? Whoever called that play needs to be under the microscope, because that’s unacceptable.
Continue to follow the live blog and let us know what you think by tweeting @ThePewterPlank. If the Bucs are unable to turn this game around, it should be quite the interesting week of discussion here on The Pewter Plank.
Follow @ThePewterPlank for the latest Buccaneers news.
Topics: Tampa Bay Buccaneers