The following stories also broke today. Thanks to Rotoworld for the information, unless I state a different source:
- The Buccaneers will have to contend with Tony Gonzalez for another year, as the Atlanta Falcons’ tight end will return in 2013. This is frustrating as one of his rivals, but I can’t blame him for returning, as he showed he still has plenty left in the tank.
- Greg Toler, a player we profiled as a possible targetfor the Buccaneers, was swooped up by the Colts the moment free agency began. The Colts’ blog announced the news. This is frustrating as well, but it will help us figure out the going rate for cornerbacks once financial details are released.
- Martellus Bennett wasted no time signing a deal, moving to Chicago to play for the Bears. This also means that uniting with his brother was less of a priority and that getting a paycheck was job one for the Bennett brothers. It will be interesting to see the money that Michael Bennett gets on the open market, as I suspect someone will overpay for him.
- Paul Kruger signed with the Cleveland Browns. He was never really a fit for the Buccaneers, but any time a big name player heads to a team we don’t play as often, it’s worth noting.
- Mike Wallace has signed a massive contract with the Miami Dolphins. In a deal that was probably hammered out well before free agency opened, the Fins snagged the big play receiver for over 10 million dollars per year. Good luck with that!
- There has been no talk of Derek Cox visiting the Buccaneers yet, meaning reports that the team would sign him right away were certainly overstated. The local media in Tampa, particularly one of the newspapers, tends to overstate things like this. You live and you learn. Cox is definitely still an option, but Sean Smith and Brent Grimes might be higher on the list.
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is heading to Denver for his visit. He’s not a player I’m crazy about, so I’m not overly concerned. If you’re a Bucs fan who covets DRC, however, this could be a concern. We’ll be sure to keep up to date with any new news coming out about free agent cornerbacks.
That’s it for now, although much more has already gone down. Be sure to follow the site’s Twitter account for more information as it happens, @ThePewterPlank