- If the Buccaneers are looking for defensive ends, Michael Bennett might still be an option. Cliff Avril just signed with the Seahawks this evening, meaning the price is now set on defensive ends. Avril’s deal was not impressive, and means Bennett might not get as much as he had hoped. I doubt there is any bad blood between the Buccaneers and Michael, so there might be more discussions if the defensive end market remains in a buyer’s market situation.
- If Bennett isn’t the target, John Abraham and Dwight Freeney are still out there. Abraham made a pair of visits today and didn’t sign any deals, whereas Freeney has had a quiet offseason so far. The Buccaneers are not short on options, and should be able to snag a sack specialist at some point this spring.
- How about at cornerback? There are still a ton of guys out there, as only a few second tier guys have signed so far. Expect the Buccaneers to be patient with this process, and allow the market price to become more and more obvious. After being burned by Eric Wright, Mark Dominik is likely to be a bit more patient and frugal with his cornerback deals.
- So what corners are still out there? Sean Smith, Derek Cox, and Brent Grimes all remain unsigned. These are three guys who seem most often linked to Tampa Bay, although rumors are floating with each player and the Bucs seem nowhere to be found. There’s a plethora of other options, including Nnamdi Asomugha, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Cary Williams, Antoine Cason, Keenan Lewis, and a ton of other veteran guys. The market will determine which ones the Buccaneers pursue, as price will be a key factor.
- As far as other positions go, the Buccaneers have not been mentioned or involved in many other rumors. Tight ends have been off to a quick start, but Dustin Keller and Fred Davis remain on the market. There are still plenty of receivers who could fill the slot position, as well, but Danny Amendola has been snatched up, along with Wes Welker. So no big money slot guys for the Bucs this offseason. Plenty of value guys who could give a great third option, but we won’t sign a guy in this position for a while.
- There has been literally no news on Darrelle Revis today, but we are keeping a close eye on the rumor mill.
That’s it for a busy Wednesday, and a look ahead to what the Buccaneers could be up to this week. What are your predictions for the rest of free agency? Leave them in the comments below.
Tags: Tampa Bay Buccaneers