Greg Schiano’s press conference today was light on big stories, but there were still some important bits of information from the Buccaneers’ head coach:
- Schiano confirmed the addition of Rian Lindell, and said he’s an experienced guy who has been good for a number of years. He also repeated the sentiment that Derek Dimke had been worn down by handling all the kicking duties, and that Lawrence Tynes continues to deal with “a toe issue.” Schiano said signing Lindell was to ensure they had plenty of choices. The Bucs are not sure how they will divide kicking duties during the third and fourth preseason games.
- There were several comments on Josh Freeman. The first came as a response to a question about what Schiano wanted to see from him in the upcoming preseason game, and the answer was to run the offense effectively. Standard enough of an answer…
- Schiano would be asked more about Freeman, and would say that he definitely has a better grasp of the offense. The Bucs’ head coach said Freeman has a better understanding of the situations that affect how he plays quarterback, and he’s going a better job of adapting to situations like weather, time, down and distance, and more.
- He also admitted there are some mechanical things he would like to fix for Freeman, but said “You don’t change a guy at this level, because you’ll have a lot of bad before you have any good.” He did say they constantly monitor and tweak mechanics, but no sweeping changes can be made, especially for a guy who is already established as an NFL player.
- Schiano praised Dashon Goldson for his personality and leadership. He said that he has credibility, and despite being friendly with most of the players, he has the floor when he speaks, and people listen to him.
- And in the daily Darrelle Revis update, we learned that he did even more in practice today, and looks good so far.
That’s it for today. Stay tuned for more updates as they become available.
Topics: Tampa Bay Buccaneers