Breaking News Broncos WR Wes Welker suspended four games for use of amphetamines. ×

Dec 29, 2013; New Orleans, LA, USA; Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Mike Glennon (8) passes the ball against the New Orleans Saints in the second half at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. New Orleans defeated Tampa Bay 42-17. Mandatory Credit: Crystal LoGiudice-USA TODAY Sports

Indispensable Bucs, Part 4: Which Tampa Bay Buccaneers Are In Need of Replacement?


Tier 4 – Players that the Buccaneers organization would be in its best interest to replace. See Tier 1, the most irreplaceable players on the roster, by clicking here, Tier 2 here, and Tier 3 here.

Mike Glennon – The king of the replaceables. So much has been made here on the site about the play of Mike Glennon in 2013. The overwhelming opinion here at The Pewter Plank, he’s not the answer for the Bucs.

So because you’re probably sick of Leo and I “hating” on Mike (here’s 30 minutes of it) I won’t go into it anymore right now. But what I will say is that while we may believe shouldn’t be the starter next season, it doesn’t mean we want him run out of town.

Glennon is the perfect backup to a franchise QB. He’s not going to surprise you, but he also should be able to keep you out of turnover problems. Glennon reminds me of Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, or Shaun King.

Can you win with Mike Glennon? Yes. But will you win because of Mike Glennon? Absolutely not. The Bucs need to find a franchise QB sooner than later, and this guy simply isn’t it.

Leonard Johnson – Johnson got his chance last year to step into the all important non-Revis role. Honestly, he failed. He and Johnthan Banks just weren’t good enough and the Buccaneer defense was hindered because of it.

There is a chance that Lovie can work some magic on Leonard but I’m not willing to settle for that heading into a year in which the Bucs D needs to have a big year. There are a number of solid options out there to replace Johnson, or at least add depth to the position. The most obvious choice would be former star under Lovie Smith, Charles Tillman, but he’s not the only fit for Licht and Smith. I like Alterraun Verner, but I’d also be alright with someone like Vontae Davis, Corey Graham, or Derek Cox.

Michael Koenen – The Bucs punter makes this list more for the dollar sign attached to his name than his performance.

A few years ago the Buccaneers were in need of a punter. Former GM Mark Dominik went out and got the best one available (like he did every time the Bucs needed something). And while Koenen hasn’t created a hole in the Tampa roster, he’s easily replaceable for half the cost.

I just ask one thing of the guy the Buccaneers decide to bring in… make sure he kicks the ball through the end zone consistently on kickoffs. Koenen did it about 60% of the time, and the other 40% the Bucs were hurt maybe once in his three year stint. There’s more to a punter than punting, don’t forget that Mr. Licht.

Next Buccaneers Game View full schedule »
Sunday, Sep 77 Sep4:25Carolina PanthersBuy Tickets
Dick's Sporting Goods presents "Hell Week":

Tags: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

  • TheFrasier707

    Sometimes I wonder why ken & leo have very different options but so glad they do.i mean kens he’s a punter that cost to much.its a change all around.punters r people too but they not #1 priority.get better at every spot.Glennons a great backup!

  • FlBoy84

    Johnson’s replacement has probably already been signed in DJ Moore. At best Johnson is a 5th or 6th CB, so adding Tillman along with another solid CB would put him at his proper position on the depth chart. Assume he’ll probably have to fight for that spot against guys like Rashaan Melvin and Marc Anthony (who played at Cal for Tedford).