Greg Spires – Out
Michael Clayton, Quincy Black, Patrick Chukwurah – Questionable
Karlos Dansby, Mike Gandy – Questionable
Kurt Warner, Aaron Francisco – Probable
1. Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitgerald vs the Bucs Secondary
Trying to match up man to man with either of these guys will be impossible for anyone but Brian Kelly. They have a distinct size advantage on all our CB’s, and for that matter, just about any teams corners. The front 7 is going to have to do a good job containing the run, because the secondary will have its hands full in cover 2 sets. Tanard Jackson will be key in this game, as when we move to a Cover 1, which we have been playing a lot of lately, Jermain Phillips will be keyed up on the run and the flats.
2. Elton Brown vs Kevin Carter - We have not been getting to the QB enough, but this is an ideal matchup to change those fortunes. Third year man and giant Elton Brown will be matched up primarily vs Kevin Carter on Sunday with Greg Spires out. Brown would appear to be the starting RT if Gandy is out (they cut Brad Badger on Tuesday). Kevin Carter is a physical specimen with ridiculous strength who has shown a variety of moves in route to his 27 tackles and 2 sacks. The Bucs must get to Warner, or we will lose.
My Pregame Quick Hits
– Can we stop this recent string of TO’s
– Another request to throw the ball downfield and open it up. Aaron Glenn took advantage of our lack of downfield throws last week.
– We must get to Warner, he is 100 years old and has a rookie starting at LT, and a guy who has barely played starting at LT
– Can Ike and Jeff rediscover there connection
– I hope Dansby does not play, he is awesome
– We must keep the Cards from moving the ball on the ground
– Hopefully the stadium will be as loud as last week….it was loud in there
– I hate playing teams’ coming off of a bye week
– Please Baby Jesus, please don’t let us have another hurt RB
– We need to focus on being on the opposite side of the field as Adrian Wilson
– Davin Joseph and Aaron Sears will have their hands full with Darnell Dockett
– The Cards give up 22.3 per game…we have shown the ability to move the ball offensively, we must punch it in
– I take offense to my friend Mike Duggan from Raising Zona’s analysis:
2. Let Kurt air it out against the aging Bucs SecondaryI think the play of Kurt Warner will be absolutely critical for the Cards this Sunday. His elbow is markedly improved since his injury in week 6, and I think he could have a big day against this unit. CB Ronde Barber, the teams best defensive player for the past 3 seasons is in his 11th year and is showing signs that he is slowing down. I don’t think their corners match up with Larry Fitzgerald or with Anquan Boldin at all. If they play their traditional Cover 2 defense (which Jon Gruden seems to be absolutely dedicated to) than there will be alot of opportunities to stick the ball in soft zone coverage spots over the middle and behind the corners. Whoever is in the slot this game, whether it be Fitz or Q, should have a monster day.
We do have the 2nd ranked pass defense in the league, allowing a paltry 173 yards per game.