As we get ready for the NFL season, it’s easy to sit around and speculate on which players will make the roster, and which will fall short. It’s fun to pick through depth charts to find players on the rise, and players whose stock has fallen. So in the weeks leading up to the naming of the Buccaneers’ roster for week one against the New York Jets, we present Buc-etology, a Bracketology style prediction of the Buccaneers’ roster, including last four in, last four out, and players whose names are rising up or falling down the depth chart.
So without any further introduction, here are my picks:
|WR||Vincent Jackson||Kevin Ogletree||Eric Page|
|C||Jeremy Zuttah||Ted Larsen|
|RG||Davin Joseph||Jamon Meredith|
|RT||Demar Dotson||Gabe Carimi|
|TE||Tom Crabtree||Luke Stocker||Nate Byham|
|WR||Mike Williams||Chris Owusu||Tiquan Underwood|
|QB||Josh Freeman||Mike Glennon|
|RB||Doug Martin||Brian Leonard||Mike James||Michael Smith|
|LE||Da’Quan Bowers||Daniel Te’o-Nesheim||William Gholston|
|DT||Gerald McCoy||Derek Landri|
|DT||Akeem Spence||Gary Gibson|
|RE||Adrian Clayborn||Aaron Morgan|
|SLB||Dekoda Watson||Adam Hayward|
|MLB||Mason Foster||Najee Goode|
|WLB||Lavonte David||Jonathan Casillas|
|LCB||Darrelle Revis||Danny Gorrer||Rashaan Melvin|
|RCB||Leonard Johnson||Johnthan Banks||Anthony Gaitor|
|SS||Mark Barron||Sean Baker|
|FS||Dashon Goldson||Ahmad Black||Keith Tandy|
Here are my picks for last four in, and last four out:
|Last Four In||Last Four Out|
|Michael Smith||Steven Means|
|Anthony Gaitor||David Douglas|
|Keith Tandy||Michael Adams|
|Eric Page||Cody Wallace|
And here are the players whose stock is rising and falling on the depth chart:
|Stock Rising||Stock Falling|
|Tom Crabtree||Michael Smith|
|Chris Owusu||Luke Stocker|
|Rashaan Melvin||Jonathan Casillas|
|William Gholston||Tiquan Underwood|
So what are some of the major takeaways from my predictions?
- Chris Owusu and Eric Page are really pressuring Tiquan Underwood for a spot as a backup wide receiver. With the removal of Dan Orlovsky from the roster as compared to the last prediction, the spot for Underwood stays open, but David Douglas will also be contending for that place on the final depth chart.
- Tom Crabtree and Nate Byham seem to be soaring past the injured Luke Stocker for snaps and targets at tight end. Stocker is missing out on valuable camp time, and should he not take to the field any time soon, could actually be in jeopardy of losing his place on the roster.
- Keith Tandy can make the roster as the fifth safety because of his versatility, and because of the Buccaneers’ desire to use three safety lineups. He bumps Deveron Carr and Myron Lewis off the end of the depth chart with his ability to fill multiple roles on defense.
- Casillas’ stock is falling because his role seems to have diminished after early thoughts that he could be the starting strongside linebacker. He never appeared to have the size and strength needed to play the position, and will likely see most of his time in passing situations or to fill in for tired or injured players ahead of him.
- Michael Smith’s ability to return kickoffs will likely save his roster spot once again, but he’ll need to earn a place on the active roster every week, or suffer a repeat performance as last year, where he didn’t dress for games despite being on the Bucs’ 53 man squad.
What do you think? Which players and which positions do you agree or disagree with? Let us know in the comments below.