Games 1-4 (0-4)
For the sake of realism, Ryan Fitzpatrick was named the starter to open the season while Winston serves his three-game suspension.
The Buccaneers got off to a terrible start in 2018. They were routed by the Saints 42-6 in the first week as the defense was shredded by the Drew Brees led offense. Whether it was through the air or on the ground Tampa Bay had no answers.
The next pair of games were more competitive and Ronald Jones had his breakout game. In a three-point loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Jones ran for 117 yards and a touchdown.
In Winston’s return to the starting lineup, he was able to get the Bucs offense on the right track. He threw for 286 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Unfortunately, Tampa’s defense couldn’t slow down Mitchell Trubisky and the Bears would cruise to a 31-17 victory.
Now in a major hole, the hopes of a postseason return have disappeared.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers secured the number one overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.
- In three games, Fitzpatrick completed 57 percent of his passes, threw for two touchdowns and five interceptions. His longest pass was for 26 yards.
- Due to Fitzpatrick’s ineffectiveness, Mike Evans has been the only consistent receiving threat and his seventh in the league with 320 receiving yards. His 25 catches are also tied for fourth best in the NFL.
- Lavonte David has been busy and is second in the league with 49 total tackles.
- Through four games, the Bucs have forced one turnover, a David forced a fumble which he recovered.
- 25th in total offense, 29th in total defense.