Jachai Polite, Defensive End
No one player has hurt their draft stock more than Jachai Polite this week at the combine and has nobody to blame but himself. Polite was super productive and was a key cog of a great season for the Florida Gators and defensive coordinator Todd Grantham.
More from Bucs Draft
- The Athletic’s early NFL Mock Draft has the Bucs taking a Top 5 QB in 2024
- Bucs front office reveals one thing the team missed during NFL Draft
- Peter King explains simple reason why Bucs passed on drafting Will Levis
- Mel Kiper Jr. hands out his official Buccaneers draft grade
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers undrafted free agents tracker 2023
There were rumors that Polite was very immature and wasn’t considered a leader on or off the field. After his first attempt on the 40-yard dash Polite claimed he was feeling tightness in his hamstring and elected to skip all remaining workouts. Many believe that Polite was upset with his time of 4.84 and came up with the injury. That decision has his stock plummeting and it would not be shocked if he is taken completely off some draft big boards.
Polite is considered an elite edge rusher with great speed and a high motor so his 40 time didn’t help that case. Polite is limited due to being undersized for a DE and best fits a 3-4 scheme. Polite may be a day-two pick now do to his character concerns. If Polite can figure out his immaturity issues he has the potential to give a team first round value at a discounted rate.