The Tampa Bay Buccaneers boast one of the best starting safety duos in the NFL.
Antoine Winfield Jr. has cemented himself among the league’s elite defensive backs with multiple Pro Bowls and a First-Team All-Pro selection to his name.
Tykee Smith is quickly entering that category after an incredible 2025 season in which he eclipsed 100 tackles and led the team with 13 passes broken up along with two sacks and an interception.
But behind the two starters, the lack of depth is a cause for concern, and Todd Bowles just made that crystal-clear.
Todd Bowles isn’t sold on Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ safety depth
Speaking to reporters after practice on Monday, Bowles said, via Fox Sports’ Greg Auman, that the depth behind Winfield and Smith is “not great at this time.” He sent a resounding message to the backups battling for roster spots, telling them, “Stay in shape. You might be next.”
Bowles’ apparent lack of confidence in the reserve safeties says quite a bit, and it’s especially surprising when considering JJ Roberts.
Roberts was a rookie standout at safety last year and was all but a lock to make the 53-man roster before tearing his ACL during the preseason. According to Pewter Report, he participated in full pads Monday for the first time this offseason, but Bowles’ comments aren’t exactly a glowing endorsement of where he currently stands.
The team’s other backup safeties are Miles Killebrew, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Rashad Wisdom and Xavier Williams.
Wisdom had five total tackles and an interception off a tipped pass in the preseason opener, while Williams had four total tackles. But neither has emerged as a legitimate contender for significant defensive snaps.
Killebrew is likely to make the roster for his special teams prowess. The Buccaneers brought him in to reunite with Danny Smith, who was his special teams coordinator in Pittsburgh, where Killebrew earned First-Team All-Pro honors as a special teams player in 2023.
Melifonwu is in good position for a roster spot due to his experience. He has appeared in 53 games with 22 starts, notching three interceptions, 14 passes defended, and 5.5 sacks in his career. At his best, Melifonwu was Pro Football Focus’ eighth-ranked safety in 2023 while ranking 12th in coverage and fourth as a pass rusher.
Still, Bowles’ comments suggest he’s not comfortable with his safety depth heading into the season.
The Buccaneers could search through waivers during roster cuts to add another proven option to the mix, but it’s surprising that Bowles seems so down on his safety depth with Killebrew and Melifonwu in the picture, as well as the former training camp darling in Roberts.
This could simply be a product of Roberts still working his way back to full health, but he’ll have to return to form quickly. Bowles had nothing but good things to say about the rookie last preseason before his injury, but the NFL waits for nobody.
Bowles’ blunt assessment makes it clear that he’s willing to explore his options to upgrade the safety room if he remains unimpressed with the current group.
