Buccaneers’ Film Room: The Development of Kwon Alexander
This one is a running play that goes to Bishop Sankey. Ultimately this play is called back on a penalty, but we can still take a look at it, as it went for a big gainer.
Mariota hands the ball to Sankey who is going to take it again towards the “B” gap. Alexander makes an initial read quite well, ready to meet Sankey head on in the gap. Sankey sees him coming and bounces it to the outside. Alexander needs to see that, and move laterally to help string the play out.
Take a look at how it plays out.
Here they are, about to meet in the “B” gap. Sankey sees Alexander, and bounces his run to the outside. How will Kwon react?
Alexander flies through the hole, trying to rely on his speed to get Sankey before he makes his move. He flails through with an arm-tackle, and completely misses Sankey as he goes around the end for a big gain.
See what I mean? Alexander needs to be more careful with his tackle angles, relying on your individual talent doesn’t work at this level.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
Don’t worry. As we all saw, it gets better. We move now to the week eight matchup with the Falcons. Our first play is a running play, where Alexander is more fundamentally sound, and the result is a good one.
Next: vs. Falcons: Play One