Lavonte David has been one of the most consistent linebackers in the league over the last few years, but hasn’t been the same through the first two weeks of this season. He totaled eight tackles in week one, but was overshadowed by Kwon Alexander. Last week in Arizona, he finished with no tackles for the first time in his career.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
He should be out for a big rebound game this week as the Bucs face one of the top young running backs in the NFL. With the lack of a consistent passing game, the Rams haven’t been able to boast a balanced offensive attack. As a result, they have averaged just 64.5 yards per game on the ground through the first two weeks. It will be up to David and the rest of Tampa Bay’s front seven to keep that going.
The Bucs are one of just three teams in the league without a defensive takeaway through two weeks. That needs to change this week, and David has a good shot to lead the charge. With increasing focus on Kwon Alexander, David might be getting overlooked. If he can put a lot of pressure on the quarterback, the Bucs’ secondary will be poised to come up with its first interception of the year. Or, David himself could come up with a fumble or pick as he has been known to do throughout his career.