Atlanta Falcons Offensive Lineman – Tom Compton
I can see the headline now: “Buccaneers Sign Free-Agent Tom Compton”
Ok, a lot of people wouldn’t find this so exhilarating, but don’t sell the fourth year offensive lineman short.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
He’s exactly one of the things Tampa needs; a utility offensive lineman who can play inside or out with potential starter ability.
Leaving the aging vet alone, this isn’t the group you’d expect to try and lead this team nearly to a playoff spot.
Sweezy projects to return for the 2017 season, but with back injuries, I’ll never truly be sold on his long-term survivability on an NFL field.
Compton would provide an experienced safety net who has missed just four games in the past four years combined.
His price tag won’t be super high, but he can come in handy if the team struggles to maintain line consistency like they did this past season.
He won’t necessarily solve the O-Line woes, but if this team truly likes their projected starting five up front then adding a solid backup for slightly above market average would be a good investment.