Buccaneers: Five backups who are key to 2017 success
Who are the five most important backups for the Buccaneers in 2017?
Starters get all of the attention, but what about the backups? Having reliable backups in football is critical given the physical nature of the game and the frequency with which players get hurt. Playing football in the rugged, burning weather of Florida makes those reserves even more important. The Buccaneers have seen before how quickly a season can be flushed down the drain thanks to a lack of depth, and have made sure to add some layers to their already talented bunch.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
Over the rigors of any NFL season, backups play an important role. Injuries, as mentioned earlier, are one reason but there are others. Players down the depth chart also appear during different personnel packages. Just because a player didn’t start the game doesn’t mean he won’t play. They play an important part.
Let’s take a look at five of these layers, and figure out what roles they have to play this season despite not having a clear path to a starting position. Which backup will play the biggest role in 2017?