Buccaneers Round Table: Mid-Season Tampa Bay Draft Decision
What a year, we are already beginning to think about the draft. Most of us didn’t think this would be the season we had going in, but here we are.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
The Buccaneers currently picking at fifth gives us quite a few options. I know the popular pick may be Saquon Barkley, but I think the Bucs have bigger fish to fry.
Barkley adds a completely different dimension to the Bucs, but I would suggest a pass rusher. Two different guys that jump out right away are Bradley Chubb (I’m sure you have heard that name before) and Dorance Armstrong Jr.
The Bucs need to affect the quarterback. The defense has been abysmal this year and any NFL quarterback given the time the Bucs defense gives, will shred an opposing defense.
The pass rush is always the starting point for good defense. If you have a pass rush, good chance that your defensive backs look like all stars. Chubb or Armstrong are instant game changers and the Bucs linebacking corps looks to be set for a few years. Adding a pass rusher to help Gerald McCoy can make a huge difference in the long run. Let’s hope the Bucs get it together and string together some wins though, the fifth pick would be nice, but extremely disappointing for a team with so much talent. Here’s to hoping.