The last of the three Buccaneer candidates to potentially make the top 100 is All-Pro defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. Gerald has been a mainstay on the top 100 list pretty much every year, and was ranked 52nd last year. He is the rare exception to the rule I mentioned earlier about star-power in Tampa Bay; the football world knows about Gerald McCoy.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
2017 was a complicated season for Gerald McCoy. He was his typical disruptive self, notching a career second-best 47 combined tackles, and a career best nine stuffs. But when it came to sacks McCoy had just six, his lowest since 2012.
The Buccaneer defense was bad as a whole so it’s tough to get a clear picture, but I think McCoy’s peers will see the truth and rank him appropriately. At 30 years old, McCoy remains one of the league’s top defensive tackles, and a worthy mention on the top 100 list.