Although the Buccaneers have a stacked tight end group, Alan Cross will be on the 53-man roster. He may be at the bottom of the depth chart but his versatility as a special teams player, pass catcher and run blocker will get him on the roster.
More from Bucs News
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
- Todd Bowles admits he only looks at three things on Bucs schedule
Head coach Dirk Koetter said in a press conference on Friday that Cross is not on the roster bubble. A strong declaration for a player who has been fighting for a job over the past few seasons.
Cross was mostly an afterthought entering Bucs camp, however, he may play an important role in the Tampa Bay offense this season. With teams opting to play smaller linebackers, he may see the field as a fullback to smash opponents at the second level.
Cross even came through in the preseason opener, catching a pair of passes for 24 yards and a touchdown.