Winner: Devin White
The biggest winner of the 2019 NFL Draft had to be Devin White, who will see not only the compensation of being a top-five pick, but also the keys to the team almost immediately. Rumor has it, White is the best leader of the entire draft class and the Buccaneers are eager to pair him with team captain Lavonte David in the middle of their bleeding defense.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
The total value of White’s contract, should he play it all the way through, will be close to $30 million with $20 million of the amount in guaranteed money. Not a bad first contract for the 2018 Butkus Award winner. White is a winner more than just on his contract though, as he will be thrust into action on day-one.
It will not be a shock to see White lead the league in tackles in 2019 as the Buccaneers did not make much effort to improve the thin depth along the defensive line. With that being said, running backs may get to the second level with relative ease this upcoming season, landing in the laps of White and Davis.
White became a rich man overnight and has fallen into a great situation to back up his compensation with his play. How could the Louisiana State linebacker not be a huge winner of the draft?