One of the bright spots on the Bucs’ defense has been outside linebacker Shaquil Barrett, who has put up 15 sacks this season which leads the entire NFL. Barrett has certainly earned a big payday this offseason and his play has many Bucs excited for the future at outside linebacker.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
The question is who much will they pay him and how far are the Bucs willing to push that amount? The Bucs do have some cap space coming their way this offseason but that doesn’t mean that they will want to fork over that much money to one player. The Bucs are projected to have over 90 million in cap space going into next season and should pay Barrett.
The remainder of the season can very well dictate how much he gets paid this offseason, the finals three games that remain are against Detroit, Houston, and Atlanta and as it stands Barrett has one more sack than Arizona’s defensive end, Chandler Jones.
If Barrett remains the NFL’s sack leader by the end of the regular season, then his agent might negotiate for more money, and it’s not a matter of if he will get paid but how much? Don’t be surprised if he asks for 100 million, many of the top pass rushers in this league are making around that area and some are making even more.