Buy: Jameis Winston has earned himself the franchise tag
Jameis Winston started off the game with a blunder, but bounced back strong for an impressive performance. Utilizing nearly a dozen targets to get the job done. Barring a complete meltdown the final two weeks the Bucs have their quarterback to begin the 2020 season.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
Sell: The running game
As an offensive lineman, you are licking your chops when you get a multi-score lead. I’m not giving the offensive line a pass, but I’m also not commending their performance either. Josh Wells struggled at tackle and a couple costly holding penalties hurt us when we did run the ball effectively; the play-calling, however, can be heavily criticized.
How many times do we have to see a wide-receiver motion behind the tight-end with Peyton Barber in the backfield to know it’s not gonna work? Then to do it back to back plays with Justin Watson (because Godwin was injured) and not even gain a full yard is inexcusable. Arians and Leftwich have a lot to do next calendar year to become more creative in the running department. Also look for a new right tackle next season and a backup swing tackle needs to be added as well.