Parnell Motley, corner, Great day
The departure of second-round pick M.J. Stewart came as a surprise, but clearly, this move will not hurt the Buccaneers in the long run.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
Just being in the right position to pick off the greatest quarterback of all time shows that Motley has the skill set to be a successful corner in the NFL. The Bucs don’t need another starting corner for the time being, but having depth at the position would be prudent for a playoff push.
Motley is currently fighting for the fifth or sixth spot on the roster. Ryan Smith is presently in possession of the fourth role given his experience and special teams prowess, but Motley could give the veteran a run for his money if he maintains his current level of play.
In addition to his skill set as a depth piece, Motley also has the chance to get on the field if an injury occurs to any of the starters. There will definitely still be a learning curve to overcome throughout the next month, but a day like today goes a long way for Motley to make the final roster.