Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson
The first pick made by the simulation was the best running back in the class. Travis Etienne will come into the NFL and immediately be one of the most complete backs in the league, and he would be the perfect weapon for Tom Brady.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Buccaneers great makes bold but wrong claim about the current team
- The hero of the Buccaneers isn’t quarterback Tom Brady
- Buccaneers: It isn’t time to worry about losing in Tampa in 2021
- Buccaneers: Spoiler alert for week two against Atlanta Falcons
- Buccaneers: Atlanta will get a physics lesson from Tampa’s unstoppable force
As everyone may remember from last season, this site is always against taking a running back with a premium pick, but perhaps the machine knows something we don’t. The Bucs don’t have any glaring needs as of now, and a stud running back could help take the offense over the hump.
Etienne has shown an incredible talent as a runner and as a receiver, and the Buccaneer running back woes could come to an end with this newcomer on the roster.
Through his last two seasons as a starter at Clemson, Etienne had 3,782 offensive yards to go along with a stunning 49 touchdowns. Etienne may not be the best between the tackles runner, but his speed and elusiveness, coupled with his pass-catching prowess, could lead to success in an Alvin Kamara/Christian McCaffrey role.
Tampa Bay may be taking a risk by using this pick on a running back, given their history at the position. Still, Etienne would solve many of their issues in the run game and could be a cheaper option than bringing some of the veteran free agents back.