Sticking with another player that played for the Jets, Isaiah Crowell could be the best all-around free agent back available. Crowell is good with the ball in his hands, is a competent pass-catcher, and the Bucs could bring him in for cheap on a trial basis.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
Crowell boasts a career catch percentage of 73.6% and has performed on this level with decent volume during his five-year career in the league. Crowell was the one consistent part of several awful teams, and his role on the Buccaneers would be far less demanding.
Even if Crowell only stepped in on third downs, the Bucs would greatly improve with this signing. Tampa Bay’s running backs wish they could get close to 75% for a catch-rate in a game like last night’s, and Tom Brady needs a more consistent option to allow the offense to flourish.
Crowell is the best of both worlds for the Buccaneers as he also brings some talent on the ground (posting 4.3 yards per carry on his career), but the real focus here is on hands.
The Buccaneers would take on almost no risk by giving Crowell a call tonight to see if he is in football shape, and clearly, the team needs to do everything possible to get new blood in at that role to cause an improvement.