Antoine Winfield Jr.
Antoine Winfield Jr. started the season as one of the best safeties in the NFL. After a quick start with various stats and a Defensive Rookie of the Month selection, the Buccaneers showed that they had hit on another significant rookie in the draft.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
After starting as one of the best safeties in the league, the Buccaneer defense has hit a snag, and Winfield has received less recognition as a result.
While the Buccaneers have experienced many different issues rather than their safety, it’s hard to shine on a defense as a safety when there are many other below average performances from other key positions.
Despite being hamstrung by poor coaching and performances from his teammates, Winfield has still experienced a promising start to his NFL career. The Buccaneers again hit a home run with this pick, and Winfield could still end the season as one of the best defensive rookies in the league.
Winfield still has a decent chance to win Defensive Rookie of the Year, and next season should only see more improvements. It appears as though the woes at safety are done for the Buccaneers, and Winfield Jr. should continue to be a significant part of this roster during the upcoming seasons.