Byron, for the love of all that is good, please quit running Ronald Jones up the middle on first down. Please. We are begging you here.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
The Buccaneer offense has dismantled several mediocre to below-average defenses so far this season, but it struggles when the competition reaches a certain point. Leftwich has shown flashes that he can be a great offensive coordinator, but the past few weeks have not been the best showing.
Tampa Bay’s offense has grown stale and predictable, and the decisions from the top lead many to believe that Leftwich’s seat could heat up during the offseason.
If Leftwich could just tweak his play-calling a little bit to fit the modern era, the Bucs could have one of the best offensive units in the NFL. If he is so dead-set on running on first down, run off the tackles, or anywhere other than the A gap.
Leftwich has to diversify the plays and get the offense out of the rut it has fallen into. Ronald Jones needs the majority of the touches, not Leonard Fournette when Jones is on a tear. Leftwich also can’t script every play on the first drive to Jones. There is a balance that exists, and Leftwich has to find it quickly if the Bucs have any hope of winning this weekend.