Another kicker for the Buccaneers?
Matt Gay goes down in history as the likely second-worst draft pick in franchise history. This draft pick took some of the heat off of Aguayo, but Bucs fans were furious at the notion that the team hadn’t learned from their prior mistakes.
More from The Pewter Plank
- Devin White posts cryptic message to Lavonte David on Twitter
- ESPN predicts surprising outcome to Devin White trade saga
- Updated Buccaneers depth chart after signing two players from rookie minicamp
- Todd Bowles sends clear message about Baker Mayfield’s role with Bucs
- The Athletic is wrong about Bucs one ‘must-watch’ game in 2023
Gay struggled from day one on his arrival in Tampa, similar to Aguayo, and the fanbase was ready to call for Jason Licht’s head on more than one occasion.
While everyone points to Tom Brady as the real difference-maker in Tampa, a consistent kicker likely makes a much more significant difference than most people would expect. Gay was terrible in his first season, and the Bucs lost plenty of games on his leg. A sub-500 team was likely in playoff contention with a slightly better kicker, and the Bucs still couldn’t find that with another draft pick.
Gay had a tiny bit more slack than Aguayo, coming into training camp after year one in competition for the starting job, but the inability to make kicks when the pressure was on will always mar the memory of Matt Gay in Tampa.
Here’s to hoping that the Buccaneers never, ever draft a kicker again. At this point, it should be a fireable offense.
Want to write about the Buccaneers? Apply below!